Sender:
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 15:12:51 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 7/6/07, Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> My company did just that -- has a single contract for the entire country
> -- and the reasoning was to have a "one-stop" place to go to deal with our
> storage. They felt that they would get a better deal by having such a large
> account. Another major consideration was that we could use their online
> software rather than having to purchase our own RM software.

I think in most cases, these are among the drivers for making the decision.
I find the argument about the software an interesting one though, because if
I read you right, you're saying you rely SOLELY ON THEIR software and data
management for tracking your assets stored off site?  Don't you find this a
bit risky?

Now you've caught me on a particularly bad day, and the reps for the vendor
> may be on this list so I apologize to them, but I think they know what I've
> been going through ...

Well, I think this is what I was getting at... that there WILL be bad days,
and the reasons you cite below are among the primary causes.

I find on the customer service side, different parts of the country give
> different answers to the same question. Each of the vendors' districts works
> in a little bit differently so I can't rely on consistency across the board.
> It has been, in my opinion, a disaster. I spend literally hours every day
> dealing with problems -- some of which have been lingering since the
> beginning of this year. Some issues are just not solvable, so I have to
> figure ways to work around what their system does to get to what I need.
> It's often not very pretty.

They may be "one company" but each operating location is independently
managed and operated. And while there SHOULD be an expectation of
consistency, I don't think the reality meets the expectation.  And once you
make the shift to this type of an arrangement, it isn't easy to move out of
it.

Thanks for sharing Nolene =)  As a wel known politician said in the not too
distant past, "I feel your pain"

Larry

--
Larry Medina