Sender:
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:48:42 -0500
From:
Graham Kitchen <[log in to unmask]>
I think there is a misconception here.

Once the retention schedule has been approved and signed off, there is no
approval required for destruction.  Notification that records are about to
be destroyed - yes, but no approval.

The procedures should state that destruction will take place if no notice to
the contrary is received within a certain period of time.  After all, these
records do not belong to the individuals concerned.  They belong to the
organization.

If one does not stick to the procedures consistently, a court would have no
trouble ruling against you.  You must have a set documented plan for each
and every situation.