Sender:
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:11:34 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 8/23/07, Rick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Though it might sound overstated, in my view there is a corporate
> governance crisis, leading, in large part, to the over proliferation of
> content without lifecyle rules enforcement.

Part of this relates to policy and clear definition of what constitutes a
record.  I don't think the issue is with the content in an ECM as much as it
is the content that remains "free range", and isn't properly controlled in
accordance with policy.

And as mentioned in another thread, ensuring practice and procedure support
the policy and are routinely applied to ALL records.

Legal departments by default are starting to own, reluctantly, ECM, as a by
> product of e-discovery cost and risk.

Legal may be called to task to defend and/or define the content of an ECM,
but they are far from routinely "owning it" for organizations.  Few (if any)
organizations could afford having Legal  serve in this capacity.

This is lack of common ownership from company to company is an evolving
> situation. I suspect the legal and compliance functions have or will soon
> have ECM on their portfolio and need to address ECM as part of strategic
> planning and ongoing risk assessment activities.

To the contrary.  I think Legal and Compliance (or Risk Management) will
have to be involved in the review of organizational policy that supports the
generation, capture, and management of content by an organization, and
possibly ensure there are practices in place to support the policy, and they
may need to ensure it's periodically audited for compliance with those
policies... but the last thing they will do is own the repository or the
process.

This is a very important development to watch.

I think you're right.. it WILL be interesting to watch.

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA