Sender:
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2007 08:42:23 -0600
From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
HI John,

I certainly appreciate your points, however "record" IS defined in the
glossary, and to the group, adding "electronic record" seemed superfluous -
which may be why that term also isn't defined in many of the other works
cited.

Moreover, we wanted the Glossary to remain just that - the SAA glossary,
arguably, isn't a glossary but rather an encyclopedia. I don't know the
average length of each definition but I'd be surprised if they are under 150
words each. All the reasons I can think of for including "electronic record"
as a separate term all end up with a very encyclopedic definition that
includes notes about proprietary formats, long-term preservation, computer
access, etc.

I understand your broader point, but with any endeavor of this type there's
going to be a balancing act and where we drew the line was to include
definitions that were of value to RIM practitioners and their broader
constituencies, and terms that were commonly used but carried different
connotations in the RIM world. That's why, for example, we removed
"monitor", "mouse", "PC", etc. - not inherently germane to RIM, MUCH more
common than they were in 1999 for the previous version, and so forth.

Cheers,

Jesse Wilkins