Sender:
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:14:27 -0600
From:
Andy von Busse <[log in to unmask]>
Let me be the contrarian. And I know that being a record storage company I
am in for a lot of dispersion that will be cast upon me.

I currently rent a warehouse, and due to the local economy, my rent will be
almost doubling to $12/sq foot per year. In other words, 15,000 sq ft times
$12 per foot equals $15,000 per month rent. To build a warehouse will cost
at least $145 a sq. ft. plus the land cost of about $4-750,000 per acre,
depending on the location, not including servicing costs. (Building a 15,000
sq foot building would be cost $2,175,000 plus land and serving costs.
Assuming 3 acres that could add another $1.5 million, for a total easily
approaching $3.6 -$4 million.) Simply put, costs are running out of control
because of the heated oil patch and have become prohibitive.

Now, lets look at those containers. Buying 15,000 sq foot equivalent will
cost about $70,500. To rack them out will cost about $3000 each for a total
of another $141,000. Insulating them, bringing in minimum heat will cost
another $800 for another $37,600 or a total for the setup of approx.
$250,000. I will have a secured fenced area that I am renting at a
reasonable cost, as it is unserviced. I buy a used diesel genset and that is
my power; much cheaper than pulling in power to the site and the cost of 3
phase.

Yes, I am concerned about security for my clients. Yes, I am concerned about
condensation, hence the heating for winter, albeit at a very low level. I
have read the argument that a metal cutting saw can get in, but let's be
real, any determined break-in artist would have an easier time getting into
a normal warehouse. Let's not forget that both the warehouse and my
containers are/will be alarmed.

My big advantage is that I can add containers as storage requirements
change. I am not limited to the size of my space, and if needed, yes, they
can be moved to a larger premises, although that adds a whole bunch of costs
I would rather not accrue. (such as trucking, bracing the racks, etc, etc.)

I suppose that there are arguments against this. However, I would be pleased
to see those that would enhance my setup. If you have an improvement on
this, I would love to incorporate it. I care about my clients, and want to
ensure that what I do not degrade their records. Please don't knock it just
because it is different from what has been done for 60 years. Let's not
forget IM started out in a used mine.

Andy von Busse
Forte Record Storage Inc.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada