Sender:
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2007 18:32:06 +1000
Subject:
From:
John Dowling <[log in to unmask]>
Last Friday the Australian Public Service Commission released a report
on recordkeeping in the APS (Australian Public Service). I will not go
into the history of the report or how long it took to actually get
published but list members (even those not in a Government agency)
might find it of interest including...

the definition of a record (on page 2 of the body of the report)
the definition of what sort of records people should be capturing
(useful: records required to do business and important: records
required to meet obligations e.g. legal obligations)
and the case studies of 8 Government agency (a link on the page)

The information can be found at www.apsc.gov.au/mac  (look for Mac
Report no 8 or NOTE FOR FILE)

Regards

John Dowling

PS to head off the debate re the term recordkeeping/records management
I offer the following quotes (No correspondence to be entered into...ok
if it irritates you to that extent send me an e-mail I can organise a
junk mail rule....in case the Australian humour loses itself in
translation "that's a joke Joyce" )

Recordkeeping
  The making and maintaining of complete, accurate and reliable evidence
of business transactions in the form of recorded information.

Records Management
  The discipline and organisational function of managing records to meet
operational business needs, accountability requirements and community
expectations.

from
www.records.curtin.edu.au/recordkeeping_manual/glossary.html