Sender:
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 17:37:53 -0400
From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Larry,

Re: "Seldom in the US do you see the term "recordkeeping" used."

I have to disagree a little bit. In the private sector, including lots of
news/media statements and discussions about legal/tax issues, I see the term
"recordkeeping" used a lot. In fact, I often use it myself to describe the
act of keeping records, because (though we don't like admitting it) the term
"records management" is not as widely understood. Many times in initial
discussions with private sector companies, they ask me "What do you mean by
Records Management?" I usually talk about the life cycle concept for
information/records and the need to have an overall Records Management
*Program* (policies, procedures, retention schedule, file plan, etc.). Then
they understand (eventually).

But I regularly see the term recordkeeping used to describe keeping all
kinds of records, and it is a self-explanatory term. I think that the
problem is that the term "management" can be used in so many ways that it is
hard to know what it exactly means: Human Resources Management, IT Systems
Management, Self Management, Executive Management, Production Management,
Automobile Fleet Management, Records Management, Content Management, etc.
etc.

I see recordkeeping as simply the act of keeping records (wisely or
unwisely), but explain that to keep records professionally and responsibly,
you need Records Management practices and principles. Both terms seem
useful.

John

John T. Phillips
MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI