Sender:
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 21:55:50 -0400
From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Regarding the "making" part of "The making and maintaining of complete,
accurate and reliable evidence", I definitely think this definition is
confusing the act of creating a record and the very important separate
actions needed to keep a record over time - responsibly.

To me, recordkeeping is a well-understood useful term for the simpler
actions associated with retaining records. It only supports the idea that
records management as a whole is much more than filing and storing records,
which is really all recordkeeping is. To use the term recordkeeping as a set
of limited actions, and then introduce the concept of professionally
managing records, only enhances the professional presence and success of
Records Management.

John

John T. Phillips
MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI