Sender:
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:46:12 -0700
From:
Matthew Hebert <[log in to unmask]>
Thanks to all for replying:

    I too have looked at San Jose State's soon-to-be accredited Masters of
Archives and Records Administration.  It looks very convenient since it's
offered online.  However, when I looked at the prospective course titles and
captions, it seemed to me that much of the program covers areas of archival
administration and practice that I have just finished learning in my
previous MLIS/MA Public History joint degree program.  So for my personal
situation, this program seems a bit redundant (and as Stephen
Smith mentioned, pricey).

  I'm still on the fence about what would be the best program for my
situation and career goals, but it's looking like either the MSIM or the
MBA.  Per an off-line suggestion, I'm planning to join my local ARMA chapter
and solicit some advise from people in my area.

  Elizabeth Fairfax:
I am considering this as a "in-route" to a more lucrative RM position,
possibly in the private/corporate sector.  Looking at ARMA conference
vendors and the price of their classes, it seems like this sector (or the
federal govt.) might be the only one that would be able to invest the kind
of resources needed to stay at the forefront of all the newest technologies
and best practices.

Also I'm interested in not only learning more about archives and records
management, but also management of people, resources and general management
theory.  Given your take on the way the public sector compensates records
management positions for education beyond the requirements, as opposed to
the way the private sector does, I'll keep my eye open for openings in the
private sector.

You are right in assuming that the M.A. Public History has so far oriented
me toward the public sector.  But in this regard, I often hear that
background experience in the public sector is a pretty common path toward
more lucrative private sector jobs, especially in respect to the trends of
privatization and increased efficiency in government though outsourcing to
private contractors.

Nicole Williams:
Thanks for starting this line of questioning with your thread about
the J.Dvs. Masters of Legal Studies.  At one point I too had looked at
the Legal
Studies degree but I'm not so committed to working in a law firm
necessarily, and for me the MSIM or MBA seem to have a broader scope and
wider opportunities.

Finally, I'm not sure what the ratio is on this listserv regarding the
number of students and recent graduates to established professionals.  I
suspect it is lower than on other listservs I subscribe to in archives and
library science, which another off-line poster attributed to the relative
novelty of formal education programs in records management.  So thanks to
all for your input and patience!

Matt Hebert