Sender:
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:01:49 -0400
From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
<Not sure I understand this comment - after all, at the end of the day a
file plan and a RRS each are an attempt to provide metadata to paper
documents.>

Yep.  That's part of my point.  The way we are now using and defining
metadata has greatly evolved from what it once was.  When metadata
entered RIM awareness it was something that was generally system
generated and we had to account for it.  Now we purposefully add to the
system generated data with additional "metadata" so we can use it as a
locating aid.

My other point is that the fewer buckets we have (say 5 or 7), the more
records we have somewhat randomly "dumped" in the bucket and the more we
need locating aids.  In the microfilm context I used, we called the
locating aid a computerized index.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager