Sender:
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 01:34:34 -0500
Subject:
From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
On Nov 15, 2007, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> Subject: Re: What should vendors do if they find they have lost
> tapes from another vendor?
>
> Hugh,
>
> All bazaar Catholic ethics questions aside, if as you suggest the
> right
> thing to do is inform the 3rd party how should one go about doing it?
>
> Would you support an industry protocol that defined what should be
> done in
> these circumstances?
>
> Gerard

I think the proper approach would be for PRISM and ARMA to develop a
joint task force.  This committee should also include an attorney who
is a free lance consultant in the industry that can see both sides.

I would expect that Identity Theft legislation would speak to the
rights and responsibilities of the parties.  New legislation coming
out might make failure to act responsibly and immediately a criminal
act or at least create contingent liability.

If I was a client or a vendor I would want to immediately alert all
parties and maybe law enforcement. Being in possession of a computer
tape belonging to another is like waking up with a car in your garage
that doesn't belong to you. Notify everyone and let the authorities
sort it out.

What if someone already copied the data and then placed it back in
the archive (to cover their trail) but in the wrong spot. Information
has been stolen and now you are in the Chain of Custody, like it or
not.  TJMAXX is cranking along at a $456 million exposure so far and
moving towards a billion.  The guy at DuPont stole $400 million of
technology and they gave him a few months in prison.

Full disclosure is the best procedure.  But a protocol should exist.
Maybe this would be a good issue for the ICRM to tackle.  This could
be added to the Records Center Operation Guideline or should it be in
the E-Storage Guideline?

We are in a whole new world when the loss of computer tapes brings in
the FBI and NSA. Anything that isn't full and open disclosure would
seem to create liability. A misplaced tape might be a sign of
something more sinister.

Humor - Read no further:

Strange you mention the Catholic Bazaar but fail to mention the Bingo
Fundraiser or the Bake Sale.

As a good Irish Catholic boy, I was of course an Altar Boy. Those who
remember the old traditions remember how there was a hanging bell
with a ribbon attached to the clapper.  When the Priest comes out on
the Altar, the lead Server grasps the ribbon and give a good pull and
the bell gongs and the congregation rises to start the Mass.  Well my
brother Phil removed the clapper so there was nothing to gong. Well I
just about pulled that bell off the wall trying to make a noise.
Little did I know he had also removed the clappers from the small
bells that you rang when the Priest raised the Host and then the wine
into the air.

This would have been a minor (who am I kidding) well a major irritant
to Father Fitzsgerald of St. Joan of Arc but when Terry Quinn, the
local plumber, exclaimed "I'm going deaf.  I can't hear the bells! I
can't hear the bells!" the congregation started to laugh that
suppressed laugh that builds and builds.  Well that is how I came to
be the one and only target on the dunking booth at the Bazaar that
summer of 1963.  Father Fitzsgerald had a sense of humor too.

See you didn't think I could get back to the Bazaar did you??

We had eight kids in my family, and boy and girl alike, Father
Fitzsgerald, (later Monsignor Fitzsgerald ) called us all Smitty. For
years, when I would come home from school he would ask "Smitty you
wouldn't  be fooling with my Altar Bells now would ya'?" and then he
would laugh.  Terry Quinn remembered it as the Mass where he lost and
regained his hearing. It is nice to be a part of another person's
miracle.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134