Sender:
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:32:49 -0800
From:
Deborah Gouin <[log in to unmask]>
Greeting RECGMT List,
Peter K suggested that everyone on the list might be interested in what we
are doing here at Michigan State University.  I didn't want to bore anyone
with a long winded explanation of our approach to electronic records, but
here is the short of it:

Here at MSU we have two archivists dedicated to electronic records.  The
University Archives and Historical Collections has been responsible for
records management from a mandate of the Board of Trustees since 1969.  Our
Vice Provost for Libraries and Computing Technology is very aware of the
need to manage electronic records and is wholly committed to that goal.

Our Enterprise Business Solutions Project team has been very responsive to
including records management as part of the solution for our new systems.
Currently we are working on a human resource system.
We will be updating our retention schedule, and working toward purchasing
records management application software to use with the system.

Additionally we had two workshops on information stewardship, and we now
have a working committee for information stewardship  that I sit on.  Our
focus is to manage shared data in a consistent and responsible manner for
the benefit of all the stakeholders.

While we have still manage and use paper records we are aggressively moving
forward on our electronic records issues.

Regards,

Deborah I. Gouin, CA
Electronic Records Archivist
University Archives & Historical Collections
Michigan State University
101 Conrad Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824-1327
Phone: 517-355-2330