Sender:
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:49:11 -0600
From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
On 1/23/08, Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> But again, I'd argue that of all the certifications found in the RIM world,
> PMP is the gold standard - it's a rigorous exam (albeit just one),
> documented experience required to qualify to sit for it, and it certainly
> has the most direct links to increased compensation as demonstrated by
> several salary surveys each year.
I am a PMP and in general agree with your observation.  I'd like to
see more CRMs and (records managers in general) sit for it.  As you
say the exam is challenging but for my money was worth the effort.
The PMP is one of the most globally recognized credentials in the
world.

I would argue that project management is probably one of the most
important competencies/skills for records managers in today's
environment, especially as we partner more with IT on system
implementation such as an ECM/ERM.  I haven't taken any of the AIIM
certificate programs but have been told that PM is a component of the
curriculum for each.

> And PMI thought ISO 17024 was important for the PMP. CompTIA, the number
> two certificant in terms of sheer numbers (behind Microsoft) agrees and is in the
> pipeline. Don't know why they both chose to pursue it, but in the absence of
> evidence to the contrary, those are pretty significant references.
One of the main reasons why PMI decided to go through the ISO
accreditation process for the PMP is because of its global reach.
From what I've observed, ISO standards seem to be much more respected
and have more weight outside the U.S.  Currently PMI members reside in
over 160 countries; approximately 218,000 of us (last time I checked)
are PMPs.

But going through ISO 17024 accreditation is not a cheap endeavor.
Depending on the size of an organization, the cost can easily exceed
$20K.  This figure doesn't consider the time involved in preparing for
the audit, which can be a project in and of itself.  An institution
such as PMI can absorb the costs in part because of its large
membership base.  Other smaller not-for-profit organizations may not
have the resources to do so.  Each certifying body needs to consider
the pro's and con's of accreditation for its membership and then
decide whether to pursue or not.

--
Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Houston, TX