Date:
Fri, 9 May 2008 11:39:23 -0700
Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Ryan, Rebecca <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Follow up. You and I talked about this before and I decided to drop it.
> But I have one more question - why don't we just use the delete button
> for these? For many other threads it's acceptable to use the delete
> button.
>
> Why oh why do we have to be scolded every time we use these two words?
>
> And I will say once again - I, Rebecca Ryan - find value in knowing who
> and how many others are interested in a particular topic. I hate to use
> the "c" word, but I'm trying to tell you I find value in that type of
> correspondence. Why should it not be allowed? Content is content is
> content. Please let me reiterate - I do not need vegetables and song
> lyrics in my job - but I am very interested that Elizabeth Fairfax in
> Island County, WA is interested in centralized scanning. Hmmm...next
> time a job is opening there, a friend is moving there, a consultant
> wants to do work there, I have that tidbit of information, along with a
> name!
>
> Also, may I suggest that digest mode is a personal choice with its very
> own consequences? I object to that choice coming before the value of
> information I receive when this is permitted.
>
> If we want to have a discussion about value, then let's please have the
> discussion about value together - and listen with open eyes. Please.

Hmmm... maybe it's (in part) because the list has a 70 message per day limit
and  about the only time we hit it is when we get 30-40 "me too"
messages???

While I appreciate that YOU, REBECCA RYAN find value in reading all of these
and don't mind hitting the delete key, I can almost guarantee you, you're
among the teensy-weensy minority on this.

A Listserv works a lot different than a "message board" or a "blog", and in
most cases (with the rare exception of song titles or TV shows) the posts
stay on point.  Nobody knows WHY these type of exchanges start, and members
are reminded we've set up TWO "off topic" Yahoo groups if people want to
exchange chili recipes, talk about song titles, or post documents and have
lengthy exchanges about anything else.... but they're seldom used.

Larry
Not a List Admin, but a long time member

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA