Sender:
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 14:45:38 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Has anyone on the list taken the subject test? If so I would like to know
> what you thought of it. You can post to the list or send to me directly
>
> thanks

I can respond, but I may not be as objective a source as you're looking for,
because I spent nearly 2 years as part of the TF that worked to develop the
RIM Assessment.  Is it perfect?  No...  Is it a good tool?  You bet it is.
But the users need to have the full text of the document (descriptions of
the KSAs and the Tasks) along with the assessment so they understand what
they are saying when they select a "number" to say how well they know
something.

And the subject taking the test must also be wiling to be objective,
especially when they select what level they're at.  Carefully read the
description of Levels 1-4 before jumping in and assuming you're a Level 3 or
4.  AND... keep in mind that when this was designed, the levels (to a
degree) are cumulative.  That doesn't mean that to be a Level 3, you have to
have mastered ALL of the K&S in Levels 1 and 2, but you should have more
than a basic understanding of them.

I was surprised by the other responses to this question that you don't find
out where you need to improve... if you objectively answered the questions
as you went through, the answers lie in where your aggregate scores were
below the mid-range... but that assumes that in YOUR industry and YOUR
organization, YOUR employer expects you to have these K&S.  Not everyone
needs to.

Since the tool was originally rolled out, additions have been made that also
offer suggestions of where to go for resources to assist one in honing their
K&S in these areas (to help develop a training plan), and as you click on
the questions or review the Core Competencies document text, you'll see what
you should have a "Knowledge of" or what "Skills" you should possess to be
able to be considered competent within that task.  If you are unfamiliar
with items listed in the "K" column or don't have the "S" in your toolkit,
then those are what you need to find resources to help you meet.

Here's an example:

Task Statement 020218, Level 2, RIM Practices:
Identify records series and create descriptions following an initial
analysis of a records collection to be incorporated into the RIM Program

Knowledge of:

   -  Advanced principles of records and archives documentation and
   description techniques
   -  Organizational business functions
   -  RIM Program requirements with respect to records and archives
   description
   -  Context of records to organizational functions

Skills:

   -  Create a description profile for records
   -  Conduct a records inventory

So, to rate yourself a "5" in this area, you would have to KNOW how to do
what is in the "K" areas and have the skills to achieve what's in the "S"
area... in the context of your current job setting to asses if you have the
competencies you need.

The lower level task statements would include:

Level 1, Task 010218
Conduct components of a records inventory by a=gathering data, surveying the
organization, and reviewing business processes as directed

Level 1, Task 010219
Assist in the appraisal and analysis of recorded information for retention
purposes

Level 1, Task 010220
Perform assigned tasks supporting the implementation of the organization's
approved retention schedule

And if you look at the K&S associated with these three tasks, you'll find
you'd have to be relatively competent in all of them to be able to achieve a
successful level of competence in the Level 2 task.

And the upper level task statements would include:

Level 3, Task 030203
Create and implement records retention policies and schedules

Level 3, Task 030204
Manage records retention and disposition in compliance with RIM Program
policy, legal, and regulatory requirements, and business needs

I don't know if this answers the question, or clarifies the intent of how
the RIM Competencies were designed to be used, but it's an insiders view of
the planned purpose.

Larry
--
Larry Medina