Sender:
From:
Chris Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2008 09:10:27 -0400
Hi everybody; been quite awhile since I posted here. But I thought you
might find it interesting to hear about efforts to recover older
population microdata from around the world. For several years we've been
working with the University of Minnesota to convert and preserve data from
(just a few examples): Romania, Egypt, Mali, Sudan, Hong Kong, etc. This
mostly very old computer media often require special cleaning and software
to recover the data. See http://www.ipums.org/ for background on the
eventual use for that data.

This year, the National Science Foundation has provided a grant by which
IPUMS, through my company, Muller Media Conversions, will set up a data
recovery lab in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The attached press release talks about
it.

The story can also be found here:
http://www.mullermedia.com/contact_about_MMC/company_news/

In March, I was privileged to address an IPUMS-sponsored workshop for
statisticians from 34 countries. The presentation compared our heritage of
older computer data around the world to the Great Library of Alexandria,
which historians now believe largely wasted away due to lack of attention--
just like that old media. I hope soon to have cleaned up (less self-
promotional :-) version of that presentation available for any interested
group members.

Best regards,  Chris Muller
www.mullermedia.com