Sender:
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2008 07:42:46 -0400
From:
Farris Wahbeh <[log in to unmask]>
The Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) developed the Uniform
Drawing System, a part of the U.S. National CAD Standard (NCS), which
includes guidance on checkpointing, organizing, and naming electronic
architectural files.

Among others, their are guidelines recommending naming folders and files
following specific architectural milestones in a project, for example:

   - 1PREDES (programming and pre-design phase)
   - 2SCHEM (schematic design and concept phase)
   - 3DESDEV (design development phase)
   - 4CONDOC (construction document phase)
   - 5CONTRAC (contract submittal phase)
   - 6RECORD (record documentation phase)
   - 7FACMAN (facility management phase).

Kristiney Fallon and Associates and the Art Institute of Chicago published a
study that eventually turned into DAARCH using these conventions as a guide.
Many architectural firms are also using these naming convention standards to
ease workflow.

For the U.S. National CAD Standard (NCS), check this site:

http://www.globalspec.com/FeaturedProducts/Detail/TheConstructionSpecificationsInstitute/National_CAD_Standard_NCS/61420/0

--
Farris Wahbeh
Archivist

The History Factory
14140 Parke Long Court
Chantilly, VA 20151-1649
T: 703.227.9572
F: 703.631.1124

www.historyfactory.com

{Please Note}
This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the
addressee indicated in this message,you may not copy or deliver this message
to anyone. Kindly destroy this message and notify me by reply e-mail. Thank
you.

Opinions and other information expressed by me that do not relate to the
official business of The History Factory shall be understood as neither
given nor endorsed by it.

(c) The History Factory. All rights reserved.