Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2008 11:35:34 -0400
>Would anyone be able to suggest some options on how to securely store
>and make accessible print copies of a corporate disaster recovery plan.
>
>We have developed a large document that is made up of the individual
>plans of our various branches together with an overview that we plan to
>update at least annually.  The team members need to be able to access
>this in case they can't obtain their part of the plan, but our Security
>staff would retain overall access to the plan since it contains
>confidential information.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions as to where and how we should store
>print copies of the plan?  They would need to be securely stored offsite
>and accessible to team members.

Routine planned dispersal is one of the cheapest and most simple means of
protection of copies of a Vital document.  However, one thing you need to
ensure is that the copies ALL remain current and that the various branches
who produce these individual plans you mention ALWAYS, WITHOUT EXCEPTION,
send copies of their changes to the parties responsible for the dispersed
copies for insertion.

One of the practices I always suggested (strongly) to clients when I was
offering consulting services in this area was to number each copy and to
keep a master log of who had which copy and where it was.  Also, that
someone should pulse the names on this list at least quarterly to ensure
they were in the same location and position, in case they were no longer the
appropriate person to have the copy so it could be reassigned.

In addition, each copy should have a revision log sheet inside the cover and
any time a revised section is sent out, the controlled copy holder should
update the log sheet to list the changed section received and the date it
was posted.  Along with each revision sent out should be a new cover sheet,
listing the most recent date and revision number, so that a spot inspection
can validate the manuals are all current.

Responsibility for distribution of the changes (and the checking) should be
assigned to one department and individual, and in your case it sounds as if
that should be someone in the "Security staff" who has overall responsibility.

You could consider storing a copy with a neutral 3rd party for hire, but is
sounds as if you should have the ability to disperse copies widely enough
within your organization and remain self sufficient.

Larry