Sender:
From:
Susan Beamer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:30:20 -0800
I work for a private manufacturing company and we use a smart phone.  All
the same devices are used throughout the company and are provided by the
company.  They are password protected and have a dedicated server.  The
password must be at least a certain number of characters.  There is a
10-time try to do your password and then the phone is wiped.  It can also
be done remotely if the phone is forgotten at a location or stolen.
Because of the dedicated server, the phone's settings are saved.  This
allows for the user's new phone to have their old settings restored and
very quickly.   I think that is an incentive to get people to not complain
(as much) or try and use another device because they know that their
settings will be saved and quickly restored if needed.  Also, the devices
are set to lock down requirements, like the phone can't be used, etc. They
are encrypted also.  Susan

"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]>
11/11/2008 07:20 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Password protecting BBerrys/PDAs

Hi List,

For any of you who's organizations provide blackberrys/pdas, does your
organization require a password on your device?  If so, can you describe
the type of pswd that is acceptable (number of char, char requirements),
and time-out period?  Also, do you employ a fail-safe for multiple bad
pswd attempts (maybe after 10 bad attempts - wipe device)?

We do not currently require a pswd, but from a confidentiality standpoint,
we should.  I'm just trying to get some ammo ...

Thanks,
Julie

CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION: The information contained in this message may
contain legally privileged and confidential information intended only for
the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or duplication of this transmission is
please notify us by telephone or email immediately and return the original
message to us or destroy all printed and electronic copies. Nothing in
this transmission is intended to be an electronic signature nor to
constitute an agreement of any kind under applicable law unless otherwise
expressly indicated. Intentional interception or dissemination of
electronic mail not belonging to you may violate federal or state law.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: Any federal tax advice contained in this
communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be
used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under
the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending any
transaction or matter addressed in this communication.

present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the
message.