Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:20:23 -0500
Andy-

We could go back and forth about how I interpreted what was said and what
was actually meant and what was implied versus what was stated and it
wouldn't change things for either of us I'm sure... so I won't continue this.

Suffice to say, it's up to everyone who enters into a contractual agreement
with anyone to provide protection and storage of their own or their
organization's information assets to make a  decision that is based on
observation and satisfaction that the service provider will live up to the
service level agreements they need. And naturally, a consideration of any
risks versus cost benefits.

Having been in this profession for over 30 years, I can tell you I have seen
numerous providers who would never be allowed to handle my assets.  Having
had personal responsibility for the in-house records storage of more than 6
organizations in a variety of industries (volumes exceeding 100,000 CF) and
also operating a for-profit records storage center at both the folder and
box level for 9 years (volumes exceeding 6000 LF and 250,000 CF)I can tell
you that I DO know a bit about how to properly manage records in semi active
and inactive storage.

Also, having been a Principal Member of the NFPA 232 Standard Technical
Committee since 2000, I can tell you how the storage industry members of
that committee view their responsibilities when it comes to providing
protection for records and what they think of the value of the records in
storage, so I've got a decent idea of what I'm talking about.

You mentioned that your boxes sell for $2.19 each... if your contract, like
those of many other providers, limits your liability for loss of a client's
box of records to $1.00, I think you may better understand why those of us
who have to select someone to protect our assets while in storage have concerns.

Again, I encourage anyone selecting a provider or considering renewing a
contract to take a look at the ARMA Guideline...

http://www.arma.org/bookstore/productdetail.cfm?ProductID=2220

and it's not a bad idea to look at the guideline when you run your own
storage facility to see if you may have some room for improvement.

Larry