Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2008 10:24:56 -0800
From:
Debra Doerfler <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Hi Trudy,

You asked:
<<Do we treat pet  adoption
records the same as child adoption records?>>

I think that would be unnecessary. The rational behind child adoption records is to protect children & parents who may feel guilt, shame, anger, etc related to their having (been)  *abandoned* their children.

Since our furry friends would not be seeking to find their blood relatives I don't see a reason to be so concerned.

I know that our rescue makes those that relinquish their animals sign a waiver upon relinquishment and it allows us to place the animals as we see fit - they sign off on that thus giving up their rights and our responsibility to *manage* the critters throughout their lifetime.

On rare occasion when we do have very unusual circumstances we may intercede in connecting the family relinquishing the animal to the adoptive family - but that has only happened 1x that I know of in my 15 years experience.

Debra

Debra Doerfler | Records Management
760.434.2806

City of Carlsbad | Carlsbad CA 92008
www.ci.carlsbad.ca.us

>>> Trudy M Phillips <[log in to unmask]> 12/6/2008 6:23 PM >>>
Okay everyone with more knowledge than mine.

First I know that adoption records and files are forever and confidential
unless opened by the court.

My question is what is the retention period for rescue pet adoption  records?
 Are they permanent and can be opened only by court order?   What retention
period would you recommend or is the law, on the emails sent  between
Trustees/Officers of a rescue organization?  Would you implement  the same retention
period on these organizational emails as on a  corporation?

I am Treasurer of Basset Hound Rescue of Alabama and this has come up. I am
at a loss on this and need your esteemed guidance.  Do we treat pet  adoption
records the same as child adoption records?

Thanking you in advance.

Trudy M.  Phillips
File Management, LLC
"Bringing Order Out of  Chaos"
8440 Lanewood Circle
Leeds, AL 35094
Office:  205/699-8571   Fax: 205/699-3278
_www.filemanagement.com_ (http://www.filemanagement.com/)

**************Stay in touch with ALL of your friends: update your AIM, Bebo,
Facebook, and MySpace pages with just one click. The NEW AOL.com.
(http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000012)