Sender:
From:
Annemarie Toth-Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2010 10:43:27 -0400
Hello,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me understand the options that
exist for deleting records from a vault archive in the case where there
is no application of retention rules to our electronic files and email.
We have not as yet implemented any electronic records management
systems.

We are looking at developing a backup retention policy that covers both
backup tapes and storage solutions such as Commvault to ensure the tapes
are overwritten at regular intervals.  But with respect to the vault
archiving I am not sure what approach we need to take.

I have been told that it is possible to set up the archive to delete a
file when the end user deletes the pointer to the file (I presume that
would be the stub).  Is that a feasible solution to ensuring files are
permanently deleted when they should be?

I believe I've also read on the list that files need to be brought back
to the online system before they can be deleted which seems to
contradict what I've heard from our IT folks who are still exploring
this solution.

If anyone could enlighten me on this, I would be very grateful.

Annemarie

Annemarie Toth-Waddell

Manager, Records Management Program

Office of Information Management

Information and Technology Services Division

Legislative Assembly of Ontario

Queen's Park

Toronto ON M7A 1A2

416-314-8515