Sender:
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2012 01:44:17 -0400
Subject:
From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
On May 27, 2012, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> Subject: Re: Legal Requirements for Vault Storage - Law Firm Liability
>

> Interesting discussion.
>
> Maybe I'm wrong, but back home I also "created" some legal documents, include "Will".
> I have one original and my lawyer has another original.
>> From time to time "we" update it, but my Lawyer every time reminds me that if I would like to make my Will official, I should register it with Court and deposit it with "Government " authority.
>
> Again, everything depends on Domestic Legislation, and does not really matter who provides Fire / Water safe vault, one can buy deposit box in bank at the corner and say that the document are safe, question is are they legally accepted when they are in need.
>

> Regards,
>
> Alex Babin

In the United States, the Banks are required to seal the Safe Deposit Box as soon as they become aware of the death of the safe deposit renter.  The have staff or service that read obituaries just for this purpose. Having a Will at you attorney's office allows the lawyer to immediately assist you in opening the estate.

This saves time of having to prove you have a right to open the save deposit box. As we all get older, we should pay attention to what we will need to go through for our spouses or family. The Will is the records manager's ultimate record.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM