Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2013 13:25:52 -0700
On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 6:50 AM, Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Having read this report, I was surprised at the statistics citing 34% of
> federal records being classified in the survey as permanent.  Has anyone
> out
> there come across this volume, either in public or private institutions?  I
> have chatted with a few people regarding this and they all feel this is on
> the high side.

As stated before with studies/surveys... it all depends on the context and
the demographics related to the respondents what the value of the input
received is.

If you're dealing with certain Agencies, they may have a MUCH higher than
average percentage of "permanent records", with the normally stated average
being anywhere between 1 and 3%.  DOD, DOJ, DOE, NASA and certain others do
have a higher %age of permanent records, based on their mission or the
nature of the work they are involved in.

But keep in mind, the overall percentage across ALL Agencies is likely to
rise substantially if NARA goes forward with the goal stated in the
"Managing Government Records Directive" under Section C, Item C2, which
includes:

 "...and expanding the number of permanent records series in the GRS to
reduce the scheduling and appraisal burden on agencies."

If this happens, many series that are presently set for a shorter period
will be increased to permanent, and there is no telling what percentage of
records this will impact then.

Larry
*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA