Sender:
From:
Dwight WALLIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:26:51 -0700
I'll be honest - I think data mapping and retention scheduling are two
entirely different things. I think of more importance from a retention
and/or archival perspective is what application is being used to maintain
the data. Understanding that helps identify the data sets to which
retention can be applied (if and when it can be applied); and also helps
determine issues with life cycle preservation. Where and how the data is
stored, in my opinion, is less pertinent to the retention scheduling
process; more pertinent to the data storage, security, and maintenance
processes. Also, I don't think of file inventory as being data mapping - my
understanding of the latter being closer to Julie's description as it
relates to data storage infrastructure.

--
Dwight Wallis, CRM
Multnomah County Records Management & Distribution Services Manager