Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2014 08:51:03 -0700
On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 5:54 AM, Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Gary:
>
> You might want to contact [log in to unmask] to see what work ARMA
> International might be doing on this.
>
> Information on ARMA's Standards Development Process can be found at
>
> http://www.arma.org/r2/standards-amp-best-practices/standards-development-pr
> ocess
>
> Tod Chernikoff, CRM, IGP, CIP

I think a piece of what was being asked by Gary was: If something is going
on regarding this here in the US, WHY aren't we hearing about it from
whoever is working on it, especially if it's someone in the RM
"Profession".

The links above are all well and good, but this is a case of "pull" not
"push"... and if ARMA is working on this, why aren't they telling those of
us who are/might/world be impacted by it?  Similar to the comments about
the Competencies (and DON'T get me started on that), there are things that
need to be done to support the members of this profession that aren't
happening in a proactive manner.

My biggest argument about ISO 15489 is if it was a Standard that had value
for use herein the US, why couldn't ARMA ger ANSI to issue and ANSI/ARMA
version of it for adoption in the US back in 2001?

I know when I was chair of the standards committee, we tried to push the
issue 2 or 3 times, but the primary reason private industry wasn't
interested is they couldn't/can't see where adopting ISO 15489 would be
beneficial to them.  Requiring compliance with a Standard that wasn't
written in a manner clearly enough that all industry segments could apply
it made it a non-issue.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina Danville, CARIM Professional since 1972*