Sender:
From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2014 08:52:19 -0400
I saw this in yesterday's Washington Post and was just amazed.  PK posted
in RAINbyte late last night.  If you are a federal employee and considering
retirement in the next few years I recommend you read it.  Years ago I
heard rumors that this facility existed - the story confirmed them.

  <snip>Inside the caverns of an old Pennsylvania limestone mine, there are
600 employees of the Office of Personnel Management. Their task is nothing
top-secret. It is to process the retirement papers of the government’s own
workers.

But that system has a spectacular flaw. It still must be done entirely by
hand, and almost entirely on paper.

The employees here pass thousands of case files from cavern to cavern and
then key in retirees’ personal data, one line at a time. They work
underground not for secrecy but for space. The old mine’s tunnels have room
for more than 28,000 file cabinets of paper records.<snip>
http://wapo.st/NIqDae

Bruce White, CRM, PMP
Virginia Beach, VA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]