Sender:
From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2014 11:23:30 -0400
I believe you need to look at the risks and determine what approach is best
for your organization.  When I worked for a home health care company our
policy was to shred everything.  Many of our employees in the field handled
records with personal health information (PHI).  My boss, who was the HIPAA
Compliance Officer, was wary of a breach.  If you work for a health related
company you know the implications of such a event - not good.  We applied
this approach to our corporate office - the last thing our executive
management wanted was competitors to acquire our company "corporate
secrets."  And as Glen points out below having individuals spend time
sorting through the records just didn't make business sense, in our case
anyway.

We paid more for shredding everything but felt this direction was less
painful than seeing our company's name in the headlines.

Bruce White, CRM, PMP
Virginia Beach, VA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bblanco