Sender:
From:
"Johnson Jr., Earl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2014 00:16:02 +0000
Good evening,

We're looking at upgrading from SP2010 to SP2013, so of course I am trying to learn as much as I can about this new version. We're also looking to manage SP records by most likely using a combination of the "manage in-place" and the records center approaches that SP offers.  We're not currently managing items/documents in SP2010, and haven't assigned--except in a few spots, retention schedules to SP2010 items/documents (and now it is coming back to haunt us).

We are now working on a strategy to clean up items/documents in SP2010,and hope to have that implemented and completed by the end of this year, prior to the SP2013 upgrade, as we don't want to move "crap" from SP2010 to SP2013.  I'm wondering if anyone else is going through this kind of exercise and is free to discuss your approach?  Since we didn't manage anything in SP2010, it looks like we may have to touch every single item/document in SP2010 to determine if it is eligible for destruction as per our retention schedules, or if it is a record that can be content typed--and moved to SP2013.  In order to cut down on the volume of content typing for all these records, we're looking at mirroring the "big bucket" approach we're now using with email, and using 7 or 8 managed folders (to include a new "work in progress" (WIP) bucket).

I met with one of our IT SP consultants today to discuss this strategy, and it just feels like we may be missing something.  We're getting a count of our SP2010 items/documents now, but it'll be several hundred thousand or so.  We'll have to work with the item/document owners in this review, and I already know they won't have--or want to take the time for this kind of approach.

Has anyone already been through this--or is/will be going through it?  How'd you manage it?  What was/is your strategy?  With all due respect to the vendors on the Listserv, we're not interested in a 3rd party solution at this point.

Thanks, and feel free to respond offline as appropriate.
Earl
Earl Johnson, Jr., CRM
Corporate Records Manager
Colonial Pipeline Company