Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2014 13:07:22 -0700
On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Glen Sanderson <[log in to unmask]
> wrote:

TONS of variables missing here, which make a lot of these numbers rather
suspect.

> Imaging: $187,500/??? for 300 boxes
> 347 x the cost of one year of offsite storage
> 2,451 x the cost of one year of onsite storage

"Imaging"- does this include:

Prep pre-imaging and post imaging?
Data entry?
QC of both images and metadata?
What about cases where you STILL need to retain the paper and the imaging
is simply to create 'reference use images?
Storage of the images, a replicated copy. and a backup?
Periodic conversion and migration, including QC?

> Offsite Storage: $540/year for 300 boxes
> 0.3% of cost of imaging
> 7.1% of cost of one year of onsite storage

Offsite storage isn't limited to simply "storage":

Contract initiation?
Labeling, Data Entry, Report Production?
Cost of retrieval?
Placeholder Fees?
Cost of return to storage?
Delivery?
"Off Hours" delivery?
Managing your Contract?
Paying Invoices, Addressing Inaccuracies?
Audits?
Destruction?
Permanent Removal Fees?

> Onsite Storage: $7,650/year for 300 boxes
> 4.1% of cost of imaging
> 1416.7% of cost of one year of offsite storage

Onsite storage is more than simply "space":

(And I'd question those space costs, seeing as you typically dense store in
more of a warehouse setting, to 10')

Purchase of Racking?
Labor?
Boxes?
Space, to meet NFPA232 or 36CFR requirements (depending on volume)?
Handling (In/Out)?
Refiles to Boxes?
Tracking Software?
Inventory Management?
Destruction?

(An intangible benefit here is near-immediate access)

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*