Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2014 11:20:01 -0400
From:
Stephen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On October 1, 2014, Phil wrote:

"I have an MILS degree and with it, I literally wandered into the records and information management profession in 2008.  I guess I'm just wondering if, at a bit past 50 years old, it is worth it to go down this road."

Like Rob, I earned my CRM at the tender age of 40 in 2008 and as we all know, 40 is the new 30.  And like Phil, I also have an MLIS degree and I fell into Records Management in 1997, over 17 years ago.  I earned my first position in Records Management without having the CRM at that time.  I then moved onto my next job, and then the next and then the next all without having the CRM credential.  Despite being able to move from one company to the next without the CRM, I decided to sit for the exams because ultimately I wanted to test my knowledge in RIM and learn as much as I could while doing it.  I think it really depends on what you want the CRM for.  These days more and more organizations list having the CRM as a requirement or at least as a plus, but as you can see it is possible to move up in the world without it.  I think the right experience tends to be more important a lot of times when applying to jobs.  When I sat for the exams, I really wanted to learn as much as I could and apply that learning to my current position.  I didn't want to cram all of that "stuff" into my head just for the sake of passing the exams and then forget everything as soon as I walked out the testing center doors.

At the end of the day, I value the CRM credential more than any other certification I have or am looking at obtaining down the road when the time is right.  Regardless of your age or what your career goals are, I think it is absolutely worthwhile to sit for the exams.

Thanks, Steve

Stephen A. Smith, MLIS, CRM, CIP, CDIA+
Manager, Corporate Records
QVC, Inc.  Compliance Audit