Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2014 16:37:34 +0000
From:
Pilar McAdam <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Lisa,

I spent many years in a large aerospace company, and periodically Iąd get
approached about storing material/parts in my record center.  There were
two separate scenarios:

Scenario 1: Extra parts, raw materials, etc. were taking up too much space
in Project/Material Stores.  They were looking for someplace to łpark˛
them until they needed them.

Scenario 2: Testing and/or qualification records, which include samples of
the the materials/parts that were tested, were accumulating in
Project/Material Stores.  They wanted to off-load those records.

I almost always said łyes˛ to Scenario 2 (unless the materials/parts were
hazardous).  The samples are part of the testing record, so were
appropriate to bring into our record center.

I learned to say łno˛ to Scenario 1.  When Iąd previously tried to be
nice, and offer temporary space to hold their overflow, they almost
unfailingly forgot about the materials/parts AND didnąt respond to my
requests to remove it.  This left me with an annoying, and troublesome,
problem, because many of the materials/parts had to be tracked from
acquisition to disposition (U.S. Govt contracts, you know), and I didnąt
have the authority to take the steps necessary to dispose of the stuff.

It was also helpful to explain to those in charge of the parts/materials
that the records warehouse wasnąt environmentally controlled, so probably
wouldnąt provide adequate protection for long-term storage.

Good luck!