Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2014 17:01:27 +0000
From:
Dan Beard <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Lisa,

Barb has a good point, it sounds like you will need to discuss with your legal staff and possibly Engineering and Compliance about the importance of the list of raw materials in relation to product liability on a product by product basis, and then check the regulations for retention timeframes (highly regulated and tested vs. not very regulated at all). You will probably have a few categories (buckets) to classify them in and create a short, mid, and longer term retention concept. I see a nice big spreadsheet in your near future!

I would consider product documentation that hit the street the same as the manufactured product, not a raw material. You will most likely have a couple of retention ideas like End of Life + ##, 1st Date(year) of manufacture + ##, or maybe Stop Order Taking + ##.

Have fun,
Dan

Daniel J. Beard, CRM, ERMM
Vice President, RIM Consulting