Sender:
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2014 21:42:22 +0000
From:
"Steward, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Jeanne, my opinion is that you ask a valid question.  What value, if any, is provided by those "generic" certificates?  I use the term "generic" to define certificates of destruction that cannot be connected to specific documents.  I believe there is a value.  It is third-party evidence that you are performing a secure service.  Invoices might provide similar value, but the document destruction profession has determined that this is a best practice.  It also puts responsibility, perhaps even liability, on that company to actually ensure the secure destruction of the materials.  An invoice demonstrates a business relationship.  The certificate demonstrates compliance with a written policy.  You have an additional document to demonstrate your compliance.

As to how long you keep these, in lieu of mandated legal or regulatory direction, I would go with the relevance value.  How long could they be relevant to any demand for documentation of compliance?  This may include legal statutes of limitation on material connected with that destruction.  I am not a lawyer so my advice is not legal advice.  But keep these as long as someone can reasonably come back and challenge your processes.

Regards,

David B. Steward
Director of Records

HUSCH BLACKWELL LLP