Sender:
From:
Kathryn Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2014 11:27:50 -0700
Good morning, All,

I've run into a situation where two people are interpreting the minimum retention period of "1 year + current" differently.  I can see both sides and am now not sure which is correct...hoping you all can help me out.  Does 1 year + current mean that the file needs to be kept for 1 year + the current year AFTER the end date on the file?  Or does it mean that you only need to keep files for the current year + one previous year?

I have a client who wants to destroy files with an end date of Dec 31, 2013, and the minimum retention period for this file type is 1 year + current.  She's of the mindset that she only needs to keep files for what will be the current year (2015) and one previous year (files ending in 2014) and that she can destroy everything before that (including the 2013 files).

A department head is of the mindset that the 2013 files need to be kept for basically 2 years (1 year + the current year), so essentially until the end of 2015 (because the end date of the files is the end of 2013).  Her way of thinking is that if the files were ended in, say, June of 2013, then the files could be destroyed at the end of June 2015.

I'd appreciate any input anyone has.  Let me know if my explanation doesn't make sense.  Thank you!!

Thank you!
Katy Johnson
303-271-8446
Jefferson County Records Clerk