Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2015 10:27:24 -0700
On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Gary wrote, in part,
>
> "Anyway, Hugh, what Recorder of Deeds office have you ever been in where
> thee deeds are locked in a vault? Deeds are in huge ledger books out on the
> stacks, and anyone can go through them for as long as they want."
>
> The vault may be bigger than you think.  Way before I joined the RIM
> profession I did work that took me into land records offices as part of my
> duties.  I remember the entry way to the land records office in the county
> courthouse (here in Maryland) where I grew up, and still live in the same
> general area (one county over) had a vault door.  Yes, the whole suite was
> apparently protected.

These are what many refer to as "safe rooms" or "vault-type rooms", simply
because access is limited by an imposing looking, secure door.

There are 'vaults' and there are VAULTS.  What you've described is a secure
room, that MAY have what you consider a vault door, one that provides
security, but it's likely not rated for fire, etc... and even if it *IS*,
if it's not rated the same as the walls its attached to, it's not going to
do much except keep people from entering it.

Most people think of the place banks keep money in when they think
"vault"... the majority of these are poured concrete walls, or hollow block
walls, with metal door frames and big, imposing looking, automatic locking
doors.  The doors are generally NOT fire rated, only crash rated, and the
walls sometimes aren't even pre-stressed concrete.  In a fully involved
building fire, these will get super heated and when hit with a hose stream,
will many times crumble- but even when they withstand the hose stream, they
become porous and steam penetrates the exteriors, creating a sauna inside.
Most ink will run, paper will stick together, and records such as deeds and
ledgers will be badly damaged. But they'll remain "safe".

> On the other hand the courthouse was expanded, the new wing opened in 1991,
> and in 2004 the old wing was destroyed in a massive fire.

I rest my case.  However, had the hose taps and services NOT BEEN
inerted... they likely could have saved a lot of this structure.

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*