Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 2015 18:08:00 +0000
From:
Pilar McAdam <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Wayne Hoff asked about whether work-in-process material is "better" managed by waiting to declare records until the project has been closed, at which point the final records would be moved into a managed repository, OR by storing with all project-related records and declaring the entire project folder as a record when the project closes.

Both approaches have their risks and benefits, but I always prefer the approach that is easiest to implement (and that, therefore, has a higher likelihood of employee acceptance).

Reviewing documents to determine which are records, and then moving those to a different repository, will always take more effort and resources than managing an entire project in place, so that's my vote. I believe that the risks of over-retaining documents are less damaging than the risks that the project materials won't make it into the retention system because employees have higher priorities when a project closes out.

Just one woman's opinion.

Pilar C. McAdam, CRM
Los Angeles, CA

Sent from my iPhone