Sender:
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2015 08:06:32 -0500
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
To: Archives US <[log in to unmask]>
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: IRMS Chair <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 7:36 AM
Subject: [RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK] Engaging with the pirate community
To: [log in to unmask]

-with apologies for skull and cross-bones posting-

Avast me Listers!

Those of ye of a nautical and/or piratical mind, see ye below the treasure
map posting from TNA!

There be pieces of data here me hearties!
Meic
Putting the RRRRRR!  in IRMS!

On 18 September 2015 at 10:31, Ritchie, Alex <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The following message is posted for and on behalf of Mr William Bones,
> Public Affairs Manager at the British Buccaneering Federation.
>
> Mr Bones, in his own words, "don't got no access to no Internet". Now read
> on:
>
> Some swabs have declared that tomorrow be "International talk like a
> pirate day". Without so much as a by your leave!  There's them as talk like
> pirates 365 days a year...and you may lay to that!  Pirates has history and
> heritage and don't need no help from no lubber as speaks pirate one day a
> year. Excepting maybe them as works at The National Archives. Discovery do
> sound like a ship's name but it be like a sea chest full of pirate lore.
> And you may lay to that!
>
> Pirate values
>
> Emotional intelligence, mindfulness, cruelty: what be the odd one out for
> pirates? That's right, the first two. Pirates do value cruelty above most
> things, excepting doubloons. Now that William Dampier, he were court
> martialled for...well, you'll see. Slung out the Royal Navy he were. The
> National Archives has the documents to prove it, and you may lay to that!
>
> http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10064797
>
> Black be the warmest colour
>
> Black spot, Blackbeard, black flag. Pirates don't do no "house colours".
> But if they was so minded, there bain't no doubt what that colour would be.
> Now, the inn where the black spot were delivered, that were named after a
> real seafarer. And you may lay to that!
>
> http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/c/F32481
>

> The golden age of piracy
>
> Some say it were a sea fight off the coast of West Africa that marked the
> end of that golden age. Grapeshot did for Bartholomew Roberts (some did
> call him Black Bart) in the year of our Lord 1722. They didn't find no
> body, no papers neither. But his conqueror that day did leave something to
> posterity.
>
> http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/c/F54610
>

> X marks the spot
>
> Captain William Kidd be a revered name in the pirate community. He didn't
> deserve no grisly end like what they gave him.  And you may lay to that!
> There's them as say as how Kidd buried his treasure and it ain't never been
> found. Maybe Discovery can lead to discovery.
>

> http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10887942
>

> So, as lubbers say, "enjoy your day"! But don't neglect your pirate
> heritage, and you may lay to that!

> Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

> National Archives Disclaimer
>
> This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the
> use of the
> individual(s) to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended
> recipient and
> have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete the
> email.
> [...]

To view the list archives go to:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK To
unsubscribe from this list, send an email to [log in to unmask] with
the words UNSUBSCRIBE RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK For any technical queries re
JISC please email [log in to unmask] For any content based queries,
please email [log in to unmask]

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA IGP
Dallas, Texas