Date:
Wed, 18 May 2016 15:13:26 +0000
From:
Glen Sanderson <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:

Cloud computing has revolutionized the workplace and now IT professionals must now navigate new potential risks. Is IT ready to deal with litigation support?
In a number of companies IT is already dealing with LIT support, generally in the collection side of things.

Cloud storage has the potential to be a disruptive technology. IT has not yet figured out the risks that Cloud poses to the organization? Where do we find the answers?
The cloud is just another storage location.  What IT and RIM needs to do is guide the information to as few as locations as possible.

The regulatory and legal environment that IT professionals must familiarize themselves with worries some professionals. Who can guide the management of a Cloud based records management program?
Again it shouldn't matter where the information is so long as it is accessible and there are tools in place to facilitate managing the information.

Some feel that the Cloud has gone to far?  How do we fix the pitfalls that endanger the organization?
Keep the cloud in house as much as possible. A localized downpour is better than widespread flooding.

Before the answers to the above are fully developed, now Blockchain for the Cloud is brought in.  Is this another example of the Big Data not wanting to do what works but move on to what generates new sales?
IMO Blockchain has some issues based on my very little bit of knowledge of this subject. How can you let multiple people decide what is true/accurate.  There has to be one version of truth.

Has the Cloud been supported such that it is secure?  Do corporations care about Security?
Internal clouds most likely have the safeguards in place to secure and YES corporations care a great deal about security and spend a lot of dollars protecting information.  Unfortunately sometimes the bad guys win.

Blockchain appears to be an attempt to add security to the Cloud by yet again removing human intervention from the process?

Why do organizations keep moving to new technology when the old technology has not been perfected and secure?
Because no CIO wants to be thought of as a luddite.

Is Blockchain just another magicians slight of hand where the client is distracted with the new and shiny in one hand so they stop paying attention to the failures in the current model?

Are you prepared for life after the hard drive? NAND flash memory surpassed HDD in areal density for the first time. The reliable mechanical hard drive is getting replaced by cloud storage and solid state drives. These changes are turning the corner to a world where robotics are playing a bigger role in manufacturing. How does mankind stay relevant?
( a look inside Giga, Volvo, Toyota and Faraday car plants will show a level of sophistication and robotics that are unlike past experience.)
Heck I wasn't ready for them replacing my Bernoulli box but I managed. I think I am ready for changes in storage technology.

Boxes of records are disappearing from shelves. The big shelving companies are moving more to manufacturing storage as the big growth model for paper records has shifted. How is your organization reacting to records storage?
No change yet. But it will come.

The fact that committee overseeing server room and data center design is looking for guidance on electronic records, how does the records management community respond?
With rules around retaining the different information.

Is security of records less or more important?
More Important

If all records are born digital, will records management of the future just evolve into a large jukebox of records that opposing counsel can attach a search jukebox to find the smoking gun?
I don't think so. I still thing we will have FRCP that will guide the searching.

How does  records manager need to educate themselves to stay relevant in a world of electronic and Cloud storage?
Become well-grounded in technical, security, retention.  Be engaged with IT and help them in developing the rules for the next shiny object.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:The information in this e-mail may be confidential and/or privileged and protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by mistransmission. If you are not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, or copying of this e-mail and its attachments, if any, or the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your computer system. Thank you.