Sender:
From:
Christopher Ferry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2017 07:47:40 -0400
Peter,

I just completed my Annual Information Awareness training (required for all
employees and contractors at EPA) that included direct reference to 22 USC
2911 and the requirement that any work-related email sent using an outside
system must be transferred into the agency system within 20 days. My staff
has provided 3 section trainings on how to identify email as federal
records and how to submit those records to a recordkeeping system where
proper retention will be applied.

I can't speak for other agencies, but I can say that in the NARA training
class on digital preservation I'm currently attending there are RM
professionals from 20 different agencies currently discussing how (or if)
to implement Capstone and the file formats to be used to preserve email as
a permanent government record.

Yes, there is evidence of improper behavior, both intentional and
unintentional. But this isn't an unknown problem and it's being worked on.
Records management compliance has never been 100%. Its what we aim for.

Christopher Ferry, CRM
Boston, MA