From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:42:31 -0700
Larry Medina wrote:
>While I'm reasonably confident they are going to be able to
address the issues related to the retention of simple images and
administrative and other office type records, I have great concerns
related
to what they're doing about more complex issues, such as databases, CAD
drawings, 3-D models, and run-time programs.

Larry, I think you raise important issues, but I think this report is
more geared towards creating the conditions in which those issues can be
effectively addressed over the long term. My only reason for commenting
is that we issued a strikingly similar set of recommendations for the
county about 5 months ago (which I hope to get on our website soon -
there's some question as to whether the report is "final"). The idea is
to create an imbedded infrastructure in which electronic records keeping
issues can be addressed across disciplines and technologies over time in
an environment of constant change. Such an infrastructure would include
high level oversight to ensure cross disciplinary approaches; broad
based education and training; development of measurables to track and
report progress; imbedding of electronic records keeping into core
processes (in our case: retention scheduling, procurement, business case
management, and portfolio management); development and coordination of
policies and procedures to support electronic records keeping; and
development and maintenance of criteria and resources for best
practices.

This creates an environment in which electronic records keeping issues
can be addressed regardless of technology over time in a proactive
manner with measurable results. I think its important to develop this
kind of infrastructure before we can realistically expect to address
electronic records keeping challenges. Otherwise, we are constantly
reacting to whatever new technology emerges - a race we will always fall
behind on. I think that is what this report is trying to accomplish, and
I think it is a reasonable approach.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records & Distribution Services Manager
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronic & Distribution Services
1620 SE 190th Avenue
Portland OR 97233
phone: (503)988-3741
fax: (503)988-3754