From:
"Piotrowski, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:00:14 -0500
This is a good question and thanks for bringing it to the list.

I, too, am facing the same issue here.  I have the possibility of
declaring myself the final "deleter" for ALL enterprise information,
even electronic.  While on paper it looks great, I have two challenges.

First of my concerns is that the volume of objects (docs, emails,
EVERYTHING!) to delete will overwhelm me. The volume may be such that my
job will simply evolve into a button pushing event with no time for the
other 99% of a records manager's work.

One of the benefits of our EDMS (Livelink) is that objects can be purged
as necessary.  That is, I could get a steady stream of objects for
review on a daily basis. Again, this could be large depending on the
vagaries of the business cycle. So I still am concerned enough to think
of distributing the function back to records coordinators (well trained
by the RIM program, of course!)

Second issue is simply one of manufacturing statistics.  If I choose to
be the one and only "deleter," I basically become an assembly worker
(disassembly may be more appropriate!) and subject to the laws of
statistics. That is, for every 100 objects I delete there will be a __%
of defects.  Granted, I would work diligently to minimize the defects,
but there will be mistakes.

Does distributing the deleting to the rc's reduce such errors? Not
necessarily, but it may provide a level of redundancy that can catch the
errors before they are damaging. They would delete first, then I would
affirm deletion. Still, this puts me back at issue 1 above: volume.

Hmmm.

Happy Monday and Go Patriots!

Chuck Piotrowski
Corporate Records Manager