From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:02:47 -0500
On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 20:45:09 -0500, Rae Cogar <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>  I neglected to advise this new poster to provide some professional
> background and to indicate himself as a first-time poster to the
> listserve.

and yet all new subscribers receive a "welcome to the listserv
message" that lays out the rules and netiquette of the list. All new
subscribers are asked to review and keep that message (and rarely do
that do that) Prime directive number 1 is to introduce yourself to the
group. Prime directive number 2 is to use a sig-block.

> I was embarrassed by the flippant responses that came forth
> from the listserve and sent him an e-mail of apology and hoped that his
> first response to this listserve would not completely turn him off to
> utilizing this valuable resource.

one other thing that folks are advised to do is to sit back and
monitor the list before posting. Were the responses flippant?
Probably, but in my time on this list I've seen much worse. Does this
excuse the behaviour? No

>  While I am not above a good joke and
> lightheartedness on the listserve, I was dismayed that a legitimate
> request for help elicited only one substantive response - I cannot say
> what category the rest of the responses should be placed.

The one "legitimate answer" did hit the nail on the head. We've all
been asked in our time "how to enforce our program" and there is only
one firm out there that uses the word enforcement as part of their
sales pitch.

I did respond privately with the following advice

 "I would think that you would want to involve your internal audit group
in this effort. I've found that this works well. You get to be the
'good cop' they play the 'bad cop'.
you may want to further define "enforcement""

that said  the listserv gets many requests from individual who never
return with information or provide followups to their original
questions. It is one thing to ask for information it is another to
share information.

as for the flippancy lets chalk it up to most folks being snowbound
for the last few weeks. and that they are finally digging themselves
out of the snow. (all except Flynn who is still hibernating)

Peterk (who cann't wait for the weather to warm up a bit more so that
he can dropped the top on the landshark and go cruising