From:
"Roach, Bill J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 07:57:34 -0600
>>This is where the idea of paradigm shifting or 'thinking outside of the
box' comes into play.<<

Peter has hit the nail right on the head.  We have just as much to learn
from other records environments than we do from others in our own world.
Over the years I have worked in a variety of industries, construction,
engineering, operations, corporate, government, and legal.  Much of what I
apply today is the result of lessons learned, ideas generated and
observations in often very different environments.

I believe I learn more from folks who work in a totally different
environment than I do.  My peers tend to think alike.  Innovation comes from
a new perspective.  Last summer I spent four days in a boat with the CEO of
a medical compliance association.  We discussed at length the similarities
and differences between our two environments.  The result is a number of new
ideas, different perspectives and alternative methods for improving both
compliance efforts and records processing issues.

If we limit our learning to interactions with folks that are just like us,
we miss a great opportunity.  It is very hard to think outside the box when
the only folks you interact with are in the box with you.

Bill Roach, CRM
Enterprise EDMS Coordinator
State of North Dakota
ITD/Records Management