From:
Tim Shinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 17:36:18 -0400
Hi Gerry,

Being in the business of ECM for a while I can give you a quick history
based on my understanding:  Enterprise Content Management (ECM) is the
result of marketing spin from what were originally Document Management
software companies as they expanded their offerings from relatively
straight forward secure repositories that manage the lifecycle of
unstructured content to very sophisticated platforms that can manage
millions of documents/records distributed across hundreds of
repositories.  ECM platforms now provide much more than what was
initially called Document Management, this include services for Records
Management, Collaboration, Web Content Management, Digital Asset
Management, Business Process Management and many more.  Websites to
explore are www.documentum.com, www.opentext.com, www.filenet.com,
www.hummingbird.com and many others.

Why you need it depends greatly on what you are trying to accomplish and
to what scale.  Ultimately, ECM is for automating business processes in
order to provide return on investment (ROI).

Hope this helps?

Tim Shinkle
www.perpetuallogic.com