From:
"Cunningham, Ray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:55:51 -0500
<Those of us who work in Higher Ed are doing it because we love it, >

Susan is correct and there are some benefits that I have not experienced
in the private sector such as more time off, excellent sick leave and a
retirement matching that is incredible. Salaries are low because of the
hierarchy of the University system but that is changing. It is far
better today than it was back in the 1980s.

When applying for a Higher Ed job, be up front with them about the
salary requirement. I have experienced more flexibility in the last 10
years with HR departments than previously. Be sure to consider the
placement of RIM within the organization too. RIM under a library will
typically pay less than under Business Affairs, Risk Management or
Legal. Consider all the factors. Perhaps the department needs
improvement in terms of profile and function. Mike is correct - Higher
Ed moves in glacial time. I always look for the changes over 5 to 10
years - not suitable for the impatient. Trust is a commodity built up on
campus over a very long time.

There is much to consider.

Raymond K. Cunningham, Jr. CRM, CA
Manager of Records Services