From:
Bernard Chester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:56:05 -0800
Jim:

IT almost certainly generates records, and many of them are essential for
disaster recovery and business continuity.  Here is a list extracted from
one of my projects:

1) Software and systems security logs
2) Problem tracking databases
3) System configurations
4) Software maintenance logs (patches, fixes, backups)
5) Backup logs
6) License management logs
7) Equipment asset information
8) Web site images if product or services are presented for sale or sold
through it.

Try proving that someone attempted to break into a software system, or had
possession of a laptop without these things.

It may be argued that all backups and software install disks are records,
since they need to be managed for the sake of the business.

I am sure that there is more -- just a quick list to get IT thinking.

Happy Holidays to all

Bernard Chester, CDIA+, EDP, ICP, AIIM MIT
Principal
IMERGE Consulting, Pacific Northwest Office
7683 SE 27 Street, #316
Mercer Island, WA   98040
(office) 206-230-9253
(cell) 206-979-7389