From:
"Gerard J. Nicol" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 23:20:52 +1100
Jim,

I think it is important to note the difference in terminology between IT and
records management.

IT people see a record as a component of data, and they see data as
something in which they may have ownership (ownership being different again
to responsibility for).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_record
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data

Most IT people only answer the exact question they are asked.

In a management sense IT people rarely look into data at a record level, so
any question relating to ownership of records will be seen in the context of
their own unique achievements i.e. "I could spit further than any of my
class mates".

What you want to ask your IT people is "What data belongs to you?".

This should get you closer to the answer you want.

In answer to your question on who is responsible for reporting on backup
tapes, I would also be a little more specific as to what you want to know,
as I work with tapes almost exclusively, and I would have trouble
understanding your requirement from the question asked.

Gerard