From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:41:23 -0800
On 2/21/06, Paula Sutton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am working with our IT department in locating off-site storage for our
> computer back-up tapes.  Is there any standard of what is a minimum
> recommended distance?  We are looking at a facility that is
> approximately 3 miles from our campus and are wondering if this is far
> enough.  We are currently storing them in a maintenance building next to
> our office, so just about any real distance would be better than what we
> have now!  Thank you for your input.

A couple of things to consider.

Any distance is obviously better than what you describe presently, but
distance is only one factor.  The general rule of thumb is a 40 mile radius
from any known hazards, and stored 40 miles from you place of business is
what I've always recommended. This way, an event that involves your place of
business is highly unlikely to impact the storage site at the same time.

More important is to be aware of any known hazards and how far the intended
facility is away from them, and the level of protection they are able to
afford to your informational assets.

You should find out if the facility is:

- Outside of the 100 year flood plain
- Not adjacent to any potentially hazardous sites (high potential of fire,
etc.)
- Away from any railways, highways and out of the flight path of airports
- Not over a gas storage tank, pipeline or sewer system
- Does not store household goods or other potential fire hazard
- Is compliant with NFPA 232
- Has a sprinkler system and/or fire suppression system adequately tested
and rated
- Has an intrusion alarm system that is monitored 24/7/365
- Has an emergency plan that is exercised regularly
- Has adequate climate controls to protect your media from degradation
- Has a tracking system to manage the inventory while in its control
- Will be storing your media in a vault or other six-sided enclosure UL 72
rated for media
- Has delivery vehicles that are heated and air conditioned, even when no
driver is present
- Has delivery vehicles that are alarmed
- Can provide off-hours access, if needed

That should get you started.

Larry
--
Larry Medina