From:
"Roach, Bill J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:05:35 -0600
>>Unfortunately everyone in life is your competitor now.<<

I don't buy the premise.  I have worked in a pretty wide variety of
industries over the years and have found that most had others in the
same line that were not competitors.  Even some that were in direct
competition went out of their way to support the other in time of
emergency.  If you need an example, look at utility companies.  They
commonly supply staff and materials to their direct competition to help
them get their customers back on the grid.

>>If you want to rely on a contract and litigation to get your tapes at
2am in the morning this is a matter for you.<<

That is the point, I don't.  I do anticipate that I would have a
reciprocal agreement in place for each party to store the backups and
provide them in the case of emergency.  And when an emergency happens
they will honor the agreement.  However, other party decides that would
be an opportunity to inflict damage on our firm, as you said you would
choose to do, I have legal grounds for a wide variety of actions,
including cover.  Damages under that scenario can be significant.  Want
proof?  Check out how many specialty steel piping fabricating companies
from the 70's and 80's are still in business.  Most of them thought they
could pull a fast one.  Nearly all were bankrupt with a couple of dozen
or more going to jail on conspiracy charges.

>>Also if you are happy to lose a weeks worth of data, good luck with
that too.<<

I would never be happy losing a couple of weeks worth of data.  Then
again, when faced with catastrophic loss of life or facilities that will
impact future revenues, a couple of weeks worth of data is a very minor
expense.  And in a catastrophic event, my plan may not include getting
some of the systems up for days, weeks or months.

Bill R

Unfortunately everyone in life is your competitor now.

Schools compete with schools, churches compete with churches, and
individuals in companies compete for promotion.

Good luck with it.

Also if you are happy to lose a weeks worth of data, good luck with that
too.

Gerard